Those who approach the sacrament of Penance obtain pardon from God’s mercy for the offense committed against him, and are, at the same time, reconciled with the Church which they have wounded by their sins and which by charity, by example, and by prayer labors for their conversion. (CCC 1422)
The spiritual effects of the sacrament of Penance are:
- reconciliation with God by which the penitent recovers grace;
- reconciliation with the Church;
- remission of the eternal punishment incurred by mortal sins;
- remission, at least in part, of temporal punishments resulting from sin;
- peace and serenity of conscience, and spiritual consolation;
- an increase of spiritual strength for the Christian battle. (CCC 1496)
Rite of ReconcilIation
The Rite of Reconciliation is held on Saturday from 3:30 – 4:30 PM or by appointment (please call the Parish Office at 858-551-8359).
First-time Reconciliation for Children
This process is for children baptized in the Catholic faith tradition who are 8 years or older by March 1; who have completed at least one full year of formal catechesis either here at Mary, Star of the Sea or another Catholic parish or who are currently enrolled at Stella Maris Academy.
For more information, visit our Faith Formation page.